Friday 11 May 2018

Donkey Week Diary; Day Three

Day three of Donkey Week saw us at Brookfield Hospital. Brookfield opened last year, and is the foremost donkey veterinary hospital in the world. Like the new shop, learning zones and restaurant, Brookfield was built purely on donations and legacies. What a magical legacy to leave behind you, healthy well cared for donkeys! There is a lovely article on the Donkey Sanctuary website from one of our kind future legatees; https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/legacy/ann-toogood
Patsey 2017
For me Brookfield was a surprisingly emotional day. Last year I met and bonded with Patsey, a lovely Irish boy, and I have carried his photo with me ever since. Imagine my thrill when I found out Patsey was still there and the wonderful farm manager Layla arranged for me to have some time with him.
Patsey (l) and Shadow
He was joined by his friend Shadow and we had lovely donkey snuggles and kisses.
He whuffled and nestled into my T-shirt, letting me know donkeys never forget; while cuddling him I noticed Layla had let go the lead rope and he was still giving me lovings without hesitation.
Patsey 2018

There were the usual rounds of donkey walking, cuddling and lunch, we were also given two fascinating talks; one on Donkey Sanctuary overseas work and one on the work of the Donkey Sanctuary vets (the latter was broadcast live on Facebook and you can see it here; https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155486037248201&id=152390983200)
We learn so much from the experts in their fields during these Weeks, and the environment helps with the whole ambience...people talking about donkeys while they are braying outside, obviously feeling they should be part of the show…
But not to forget Donkey Week is all about donkey loving and there was plenty of that!
I had lots of grooming and cuddles with Sooty and Harry.
Zac
I was paired with a nice quiet donk to walk called Zac, and that made for a wonderful walking session with lots of cuddles with the little gentledonk. With mobility issues I need to be careful and the grooms are more than happy to find a nice patient donkey for me to walk.
You know it's been a good day when your car is the last one in the car park!
The booplesnoot says goodnight x

No comments:

Post a Comment